By James C. Sprouse, Senior Pastor
Here are some concerns our Next Level Innovation weekend, October 20-22, is designed to address. Did you know there are hundreds of thousands of persons living in northern Virginia who have no church home? Barna and other church research groups place the percentage of persons without church affiliation between 50 & 60%. Trinity and the NLI Team want to open its arms and reach out to this growing community of persons seeking, but not finding the right place to meet their spiritual needs. Even before we reach out to these persons we already know lots about them.
Persons who are seekers of church homes or new church homes tend to fit the following profile:
- They prefer worship services that are shorter, well designed and have a lively flow and tempo, not necessarily held in a sanctuary; often a fellowship hall is preferred.
- They prefer loud, upbeat, faster paced pop/contemporary music sound.
- Their loyalty is won through excellence in ministry and adult education.
- They require a community of faith to help them sort out the hurts in their lives through practical messages, classes and small groups.
- They prefer short-term opportunities, activities and commitments.
- They prefer a focus on local ministries rather than far away places.
God has blessed our Trinity Church with some of the finest lay and clergy leadership in the country. The time is very right for us to intensify our outreach to persons seeking a church home. I request that you support our Next Level Innovation weekend with your prayers. Encourage and guide our leaders with your ideas and suggestions. Offer your own time, spiritual gifts and, when possible, your financial resources to help make this ministry a powerful witness for Jesus Christ in the United Methodist tradition.
Remember, our Next Level Innovation weekend is October 20-22. Lots of things will be happening but we need you on Saturday the 21st for the all-important visioning session from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. We will serve you lunch and child care is available when you register. YOU are necessary so we can clearly hear what God is already doing in this church, and hear what God is challenging us to do next.
We need to hear from younger, older, families, singles, leaders and non-leaders. We want to fill Langley Hall with 100 people because your voice matters. We understand that Saturdays in the fall are busy, but I hope you will choose to spend October 21 with us for this very important moment in Trinity Church’s life. So please respond with your participation. To sign-up, please visit our website: umtrinity.org/get-involved/nli.